[lit-ideas] Re: Deep Poverty at Record Levels, Where's That?

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 15:20:05 -0500

Lawrence, 'stupid' was my word. Get your own word.

And, anyway, my comment wasn't stupid. The GDP ppp is an average. Look at how high on the list Saudi Arabia is. You think that means that the average Saudi lives high on the hog? Look where Equatorial Guinea is. You think the average Equatoguinean has enough to eat? So how does the GDP relate to poverty within a system? (Maybe you're still mesmerized by trickle-down economics?)

And anyway, that the American divide between the rich and the poor is so large (and growing) is not merely an economic problem. It's a moral problem. Countries with much smaller GDP's manage much more equitability. Rich Americans just don't work and play well with others.

If I'm somehow misreading your original intent, do let me know.
Ursula

Lawrence Helm wrote:

Ursula.

There are certain criteria used by economists to make comparisons among the nations. GDP per person is one of them. Read up on it. Keep that old knee from jerking. If you do you may not say so many stupid things.

Lawrence.