[lit-ideas] Re: Decisions, decisions

  • From: Harold Hungerford <hh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:35:26 -0700

The publisher is Open Court, which -- subject to correction from Robert
Paul -- has for many years been a distinguished maverick publisher of
philosophy, including a long series of books containing critiques of
some of the world's most notable philosophers with responses from the
critiquee. Unless their standards have degraded significantly, the fact
of their being the publisher is significant.

A sequel is coming out in March 2005, also from Open Court.

The Pooh books were written by Fred Crews, sometime chair of English at
Berkeley and now vigorous enemy of Freud, as parodies of current
fashions in literary criticism. There is nothing pop about them.

And, just as a troll, what kind of philosophy does Robert Paul prefer?
It may help to know that my three hard drives are named Aristotle,
Averroes, and Aquinas (three masters of those who know, and worth
reading even for complete unbelievers like me). When the fourth comes,
it will be named Rorty. Wittgenstein is on the waitlist. Heidegger is
not, nor, emphatically, is Plato. Erin will no doubt be happy to know
that Kant and Fichte aren't either.

Harold Hungerford
Santa Rosa, California