[lit-ideas] Re: Decisions, decisions

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:53:08 -0700

From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lit-ideas] Re: Decisions, decisions

When I was in 2nd year college, I happened on a showing of Orson Welles
adaptation of Kafka's _The Trial_.  I do believe that film more than any
other awakened what little intellectual curiosity I have in me.  I found it
fascinating like nothing else, especially at that point in my life.  I don't
subscribe to the usual interpretation that it's warning about totalitarian
bureaucracy, that seems much too easy, too moralistic for Kafka.  I found in
it the hopeless struggle of trying to justify your life to yourself whatever
system you find yourself in.  It's about guilt, about struggling against the
meaning of you that your culture has handed you like a graduation present,
about not measuring up to what your culture expects of you and about  the
attempt to stand up for yourself in a world where there's no place to stand,
it's about all those kinds of fun and games things that go into being a
human being.  The film was released in 1963 and stars Anthony Perkins as
Citizen K.  It's the only film besides Psycho that I liked Perkins in.

Most critics panned the film.  Obviously I think they're fools.  You might
check it out and see if you don't agree that it jumpstarts intellectual
curiosity about one's struggle for identity in a world whose preoccupations
are not about you.

Mike Geary
Memphis