[lit-ideas] Re: Decisions, decisions

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 17 Oct 2004 19:10:47 PDT

But I would be interested in which movies people here would recommend
for intro phil.
 -------------------------------------
Would it be rude of me to say 'none'? Probably, but I'm not happy with the idea
that everything should be something else. If they can't read Descartes'
Meditations and understand them, perhaps they could go into accounting without
passing Go.

It would be depressing--is depressing--to think that The Matrix is the only way
into the problem of Cartesian global scepticism, and that without its special
effects today's students will not understand the philosophical issues (which
are?) involved.

I'd give the same answer if I were asked to suggest movies to show to an intro
lit class (one that was reading Jane Eyre, e.g.)  If the _only_ way to get their
attention is via a movie, why not just admit that you're dealing with different
issues and different genres?

There's probably a witty comic book illustrating the Philosophical
Investigations, but should there be I'd recommend it only to students who'd
struggled for a while with the original. They'd get it.

Robert Paul
The Old Oligarch
Reed College