[lit-ideas] Re: Decisions, decisions

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 06:23:12 EDT

Why in the world aren't all these damned lists I'm subscribed to just
labeled "splittinghairs1", "splitthinghairs2", "splitthinghairs3".....   then I
could keep track.....

Julie Krueger
with just a comb
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Decisions,
decisions  Date: 10/22/04 3:38:03 AM Central Daylight Time  From:
_NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Donal asks "whether list-members want to name  movies etc. that they
think illustrate no "philosophical themes"  whatever?"
_____

How about Maya Deren's surrealist beauty, _Meshes of  the Afternoon_?

Conditions of this offer: the film willingly approaches  the philosopher,
bearing its philosophical themes as free gifts freely  given. The
philosopher does not, in his philosophical lust, roughly subdue  the film
and force it to yield philosophical themes.

In other words,  I'm assuming Donal means "the movie intentionally
illustrates philosophical  themes," rather than "a philosopher may use
the movie to represent  philosophical themes" or "a philosopher may
explicate the grounding  philosophical assumptions of the people who made
the film" or "a philosopher  may use the film as a tabula on which to
project philosophical themes not  inherent in the film's  creation."