[lit-ideas] Re: Cook's Tour (4)

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:20:18 +0100

> I've never understood whether there is a CLEAR difference
between
> 'supplying' and 'selling' arms to a country.  If the US was
GIVING (gratis)
> arms to a country, that would be a sort of 'patronage' whereas,
if a
> private company is 'selling' arms to a country, that's just
exporting isn't
> it? I think 'supplying' is used for both and because of that is
a quite a
> meaningless loaded word.

(I said "sends" re the US, "supplies" re the UK, which *sells*
arms to Israel.  I assume it is "the US" not some private arms
company.  "Loaded", I didn't see it as loaded at all.  Frankly.)

 I assume the arms are being sold.  I Googled, and found this

http://www.worldpolicy.org/projects/arms/reports/israel050602.html

(I don't know anything about worldpolicyorg, I'll see if I can
find
another source)