[lit-ideas] Concerning the struggle to abolish first names

  • From: "phatic" <phatic@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:02:28 +0200

CONCERNING THE STRUGGLE TO ABOLISH FIRST NAMES

_A contribution to the word class struggle as a Norwegian love story_

1. Introduction
For many years I tried to have first names banned.

I saw the use of first names as a Heathen-Christian practice or mal-
practice, founded on word-magic and mystical thinking, thus pure
idealism. The use of first names gave fertile soil for conspiracies
between persons who had mutual knowledge of their names. First names
gave a false sense of self. People one could expect more from, left
names and addresses as if they lived in a safe society. Thus, the use
of first names was corrupting, confusing and weakened the survival
instinct. I struggled against first names for political reasons: I
wanted to survive the 20th century!

With the passing of years, my trust in my fellow people has increased
steadily. Today I see no reason, consequently, to conduct my struggle
alone, but rather to come out in the open in Windows* and ask for
support from readers who share my basic outlook.

Thus, my name is Georg Johannesen.

I expect a series of anonymous mails.

[Georg Johannesen, 'Om kampen mot bruk av fornavn', _Vinduet_ 1,
1972. Translated by T E Fjeld.]

--
phatic@xxxxxxxxxx
http://phatic.blogspot.com