[lit-ideas] Re: A stitch in time

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 16:49:34 EDT

You're just good.  But this now confuses me further.  I swim laps  -- 1 -
11/2 miles.  Early on I had a problem of getting the pain in the  side you
normally associate with running.  I accidentally discovered that  if I drank
frequently long draughts of water from my water bottle every 10 or so  laps
that pain
didn't occur.  Weird.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] A stitch in time
Date: 7/30/2004 12:15:29 PM Central Daylight Time  From: _pas@xxxxxxxxx
(mailto:pas@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
 Sent on:
At 11:49 AM 7/30/2004, you wrote:
>Looking  at the sun always causes one to sneeze.  I'd like a   physiological
>explanation of this, please.
>
>Julie  Krueger
>still waiting after 40 years for someone to explain why running  hard causes
>a pain in the  side.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NHF/is_4_18/ai_86649611

You  are constantly reminded to drink before, during, and after a workout.
But  did you know that drinking fluids immediately before a run is a good
way to  induce a side stitch? Researchers in New Zealand wanted to figure
out just  what causes side stitch pain in runners. There are two prevailing
theories.  One relates to decreased blood flow to internal organs that have
shunted to  the stomach for digestion. The other involves stretching of the
visceral  ligaments (tugging on the ligaments of the internal organs by a
stomach  heavy with liquid). One is physiological relating to digestion and
blood  flow, the other, mechanical.

The researchers gave ten active, healthy  young men either no liquid
(control) or a body-mass adjusted amount of four  different fluids before
treadmill running--water, a sport drink,  de-carbonated cola, or a
non-absorbable osmotic solution. Stitches developed  to about the same
extent with each of the different fluids. Because all four  treatment groups
would produce tugging and only two would involve digestion,  the results
support the idea that pulling on the internal organs might  explain side
stitch pain.

The researchers also tested various methods  of treating a side stitch
including bending over while tightening the  abdominal muscles, tightening a
belt around the waist, or breathing through  pursed lips with extra big
breaths--all of which alleviated the stitch  within seconds.

According to Jack Daniels, Ph.D., understanding breathing  rhythms while
running can help  you