[lit-ideas] Re: Computer weirdness and rubber bullets

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 16:55:28 -0700

Julie: You'd have to be closer?
  ck: Probably, I guess. But at least you can play with it when attackers
aren't around. Think of the swing you and your kids will develop! ("Atta boy,
aim for the head! The HEAD! Okay, tell your sister that's good, too.")

  I first saw the California baseball bat car weapon when I was living in
Texas, in the car of a transplanted Angeleno. Thought he was paranoid. He was.
Carrying a baseball bat in your car was not considered "adaptive" behavior (ie,
sane) in Austin, at that time. Then I moved back to California, where paranoia
is a highly adaptive, useful trait. And The Club, that locked bar on your car's
steering wheel? De rigueur here, unless you have a fancy, obnoxious alarm.

  carol

        Date: 6/1/06 2:57:59 P.M. Central Daylight Time
        From: carolkir@xxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  >Btw, the rubber bullet thing appeals to me in that it temporarily disables
>someone w/out being life-threatening.

  ck: Why not just get a baseball bat? A popular weapon, especially in cars, in
California. I kid you not. Baseball bats are in.

  Carol