[lit-ideas] Re: Can You Imagine 2 + 2 = 5?

  • From: palma@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 05:23:14 -0500 (EST)

Now I am honestly losing track.
What is the point here? That "might makes it right"? That if one-two-n
people believe firmly, fervidly imagine, take for certain that X, then
X?
That is at best a shoddy piece of reasoning.
If the question is a political issue, how to change their mind [notice
that it is worthwhile to consider the point only once one has reasons to
think they are *wrong* about X], the answers are many.
My preferred example is the vast majority of Germans who fervidly
believed that the Slavs were vermin to be exterminated. They changed
their mind in Stalingrad in this very days of winter of 1942.

On Tue, 20
Nov 2007, Andreas Ramos wrote:

> [...]

off address: #201 West Building, Philosophy, Duke University
box 90743, Durham, NC 27708
home ph#: [1] 9196881856
cellph#: [1[] 9195997065 (voicemail is available on said numbers)
email palma@xxxxxxxx