[lit-ideas] Re: Bush's press conference

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:47:32 EDT

In a message dated 4/14/2004 3:18:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The denoument, for me, was when he was asked what his biggest mistake in the
last three years were.  His answer was, "I can't think of one".  That's what I
like -- humility in a Pres.
[Lower Culpania-UPI] President Roquentin, asked to list his biggest mistake
in the past three years, responded: "First, I decided to run for public
office...big mistake. My cabinet appointments were disappointments, every one.
spoke to other elected officials. I listened to their advice. I proposed
legislation. I made decisions based on limited information, as opposed to the
unlimited
information available to all other national leaders since our ancestors first
huddled together in the Pleistocene and puzzled out the foolish notion of
delegating authority.
"I gave interviews. I spoke to the press. I attended meetings with other
national leaders. I chose the blue tie over the red tie.  I had a pet. I
attended
meetings sponsored by nonprofit organizations. I attended meetings sponsored
by for-profit organizations. I made Andreas Ramos mad at me. Like Jake Barnes,
I married the first woman who was nice to me. I made a big deal about praying
in public.

"Then I was walking along the beach and saw a stone. Holding it in my hand, I
was overcome with a sense of repulsion toward this object that existed
entirely in itself, predefined by circumstance, its existence circumscribed by
the
sickeningly chaotic and random nature of an indifferent universe. So I went
swimming. To be oceanic, free, cleansed -- that's what I thought would result
from my spontaneous Neptunian frolic. I did not know there was a red tide all
around me, and that its existence preceded its essence...

"Next question.  No. No ... you there, with the hook."