[lit-ideas] Re: Bush on "a third world" -- and Popper

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:50:04 +0100 (BST)

 --- Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 10/9/2004 4:00:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> And what  my worry is is that, you know, it looks like it's from Canada,
> and
> it
> might  be from a third world.
>

> ----
>
> That's interesting.
>
> As far as I know, Sir Karl, however, never qualified _der dritte welt_ (the
>
> third world) with an indefinite ("_einer dritte welt"). So, in this sense,
> Bush  is being more Popperian than Popper (himself).

Well, if there is the third world there is a third world. But Bush
(obviously) is using 'third world' in a different sense to Popper's third
world. It was to avoid this confusion that Popper altered his terminology and
spoke of World 3 rather than the third world. Bush, therefore ,is not being
Popperian at all here.

Donal

Messenger - all new features - even more fun!  http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com