[lit-ideas] Re: Brits do it better

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:33:55 -0400

Antifungal chemicals on the peach trees?  Why not organic?  Speaking of
which, did you know that meat eating is a much bigger ecological disaster
than we ever thought.  Consider:  It takes 1/3 of a pound of fertilizer to
produce one pound of cooked beef.  It takes 18,000 gallons of rain and
irrigation water to produce a pound of beef.  Together, raising livestock
and irrigating the crops they eat consume over half of all freshwater used
in the United States.  (It takes something like one gallon to grow a pound
of potatoes or corn or grain.)  The fertilizer washes into the Gulf of
Mexico such that there is a dead zone the size of New Jersey where
bottom-dwelling sea life cannot survive.  Check out the "Take a Tour of the
Conventional Food Supply" and keep clicking on the links:

http://www.cspinet.org/EatingGreen/index.html