[lit-ideas] Re: British support of Omar Bakri Muhammed

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:12:47 -0000

LH>On page 31 he writes, "After the 2005 terrorist attacks on London,
LH>it emerged that the four suspects had raked in more than half a million
LH> pounds in welfare benefits from the British government.

So our scummier tabloids yelled at the time.  (In general terms. I can't vouch
for
the figure of half a million pounds.)  But then, *they were, as British
citizens, entitled to
the benefits*.

LH>that Hizb-ut-Tahris founder Omar Bakri Muhammed (who preached
LH> that 'we will conquer the White House . . . we will be in charge and
LH>Muslims will control the earth') was getting "L331.28 a month in incapacity
LH> benefit and L183.30 a month in disability living allowance''; in addition,
LH>he collected a 'housing benefit' and a 'council tax benefit,' not to mention
LH>his wife's welfare intake of 'at least L1,300 a month.'  (Curiously,
LH>no mention was made of child benefits for his seven progeny.)
LH>Even his car had been acquired free of charge under a government program."

Then he too must have been entitled to them.

With Europeans treating its immigrants so royally, why should it not?

The four suspects were not immigrants, Lawrence.  They were all -- I believe --
born here. They were full citizens of the UK.

Does Bawer not know this?

Not that I am opposed to the granting of such benefits as immigrants, including
illegal immigrants -- if they have children -- receive.  This country treats
immigrants shabbily, but perhaps, not as shabbily as you would like.

Judy Evans, Cardiff

  Bruce Bawer in his While Europe Slept, How Radical Islam is destroying the
West from Within, 2006 addresses at one point the benefits Muslims (including
Islamists) can get from the various European nations.  Britain was not exempt
from his criticism:

  On page 31 he writes, "After the 2005 terrorist attacks on London, it emerged
that the four suspects had raked in more than half a million pounds in welfare
benefits from the British government.  The Telegraph reported, too, that
Hizb-ut-Tahris founder Omar Bakri Muhammed (who preached that 'we will conquer
the White House . . . we will be in charge and Muslims will control the earth')
was getting "L331.28 a month in incapacity benefit and L183.30 a month in
disability living allowance''; in addition, he collected a 'housing benefit'
and a 'council tax benefit,' not to mention his wife's welfare intake of 'at
least L1,300 a month.'  (Curiously, no mention was made of child benefits for
his seven progeny.)  Even his car had been acquired free of charge under a
government program."

  Further down he quotes Bernard Lewis who in July 2004 "predicted that Europe
would be Islamic by the end of the century."  With Europeans treating its
immigrants so royally, why should it not?

  Lawrence