[lit-ideas] Re: Brigitte Gabriel again supporting Israel

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:53:52 +0100 (BST)

Thank you, Helen.

 Because my parents and I suffered the consequences
> of WW II

Yes.  And thank you for the interpretation

Judy Evans, Cardiff

http://www.queensu.ca/politics/pols110a/discus/messages/346/567.html?1112978
> 254
>

> Because my parents and I suffered the consequences
> of WW II does not,
> perforce,  make me an expert on the issues.  But it
> does give me a
> perspective through which I filter other
> information.  In my case, I think
> it made me susceptible to fundamentalist Christian
> teachings of divine
> retribution against those who refuse the truth.
> When your childhood is
> spent in chaos, there is something very comforting
> about the vision of an
> angry God who fights on your side against all who
> oppose you. That's  also
> my interpretation of the rhetorical appeal of
> militant Muslims like
> Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah and Iran's Supreme
> Leader Ayatollah Ali
> Khomeini.  Mix in the lust for political power and
> you have a lethal
> combination.
>

> Now that I I've and  teach in the South, I see
> similar problems with the
> conflation of religious fervor and American
> politics.  Please do not
> immediately assume that I think the American system
> is equivalent to the
> social vision of militant Muslims.  But Jerry
> Falwell's  vision is pretty
> creepy too. And here are many Americans who
> subscribe to that vision .

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html