[lit-ideas] Re: Boeing and the Aviation Market

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:05:11 -0800

It appears, Irene, that you haven't read the subject article.  What a
relief.  I thought it was only my notes you didn't read.  The article has
nothing to do with military matters.  The competition between Boeing and
Airbus has been in the realm of commercial aviation.  Boeing has diversified
somewhat to cushion the ups and downs of its Aircraft business, but it was
begun as and is still primarily a producer of commercial aircraft.  It is
upon commercial aircraft ventures that the fortunes of Boeing and Airbus
will rise or fall.  The article focuses, ahem, to repeat again, on
Commercial Aircraft.  There has been tremendous competition over the years
in COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT.    I lived through that competition as Douglas was
submerged in McDonnell Douglas which was in turn submerged in Boeing to a
very large extent because of the tough competition from Airbus which was
getting governmental support from several European nations.  Now, as the
article explains, the effects of these nations competing for Airbus jobs has
worked harm upon the product.  Designing anything by committee is always a
risky business.  Airbus has not been able to be as innovative, as
entrepreneurial as Boeing and has now fallen behind IN THE COMMERCIAL
AIRCRAFT INDUSTRY.

While in the process of turning your plowshares into swords, perhaps you
could save a small part, say something in the blade or the handle and have a
pair of eyeglasses made for yourself.

Lawrence

  _____