[lit-ideas] Re: Bizarre Faith

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:39:38 -0800 (PST)

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Nov 4, 2004 11:07 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Bizarre Faith

Le 4 nov. 04, =E0 18:58, aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx a =E9crit :

> But now that we have explanations, why do we do it?

M.C. We don't really have any explanations, at least not to the=20
questions that matter. To the *really* important questions, like:

        How should I live?

A.A. That's an easy one.  Ask your mother in law.  But seriously, it seems to
me that at some point we have to decide for ourselves how we want to live and
then just live that way.  Within the limits of the law and normality.

        What's the meaning of my life?

A.A. I'm still looking for that one.  My Catholicism didn't help me find it.
I've come to the conclusion that looking for meaning is a waste of time.

        What's going to happen to me after I die?

A.A. I will enter the food cycle.  I'll become food for microbes, who will work
their way up the food chain.  Doesn't bother me at all.

        Why do good and innocent people suffer?

A.A. Because there is no God.  And if there is, he doesn't know we exist.

        Why does something exist rather than nothing?

A.A. Because of evolution.  One atom hooked up with another atom, billions of
years later, here we are.

        Why do jerks get elected President?

A.A. Because we elect them.

        --- We don't really have a clue (at least I don't ; if Andy does =
I=20
hope he'll clue us in).
        Religion provides quick, easy, certain answers to these and many =
other=20
as well, at a moderate price.
        Plus, afterwards, there's coffee and brownies.

A.A.  Personally, I think it's way overpriced.  The brownies are okay.

Andy Amago

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76