[lit-ideas] Re: Bizarre Faith

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:57:59 -0500

>I'm sure you meant "I just don't understand what seems to me to be
>irrational behaviour."

Yes, that's a much more diplomatic way to put it, but I've never been good
with diplomacy.

>You first asked about people who let religious 'rule' their lives.

Yup. I'm talking about people who can't eat certain things. Can't work on
certain days. Can't go out after x o'clock on x day. Can't have x on the
table at the same time as x. Can't do x because it's 'wrong' [even though
it has no deleterious effects to anyone else, and in many cases, oneself.
I'm talking about [seemingly -- to me -- trying to be diplomatic] arbitary
acts of rites and tradition for no other reasons than you are told to do
it. There's a difference between 'can't' and 'choosing not to' do
something. Religion seems to be sort of like joining the Army -- for good.

>  But, tried to separate that from people who 'believe in G-d'.

I think there is a HUGE difference between a belief in G-d and the strict
adherence to one's religion.

>  I do suppose there are levels of interactions with one's belief system
> -- and some people may have more of a 'personal' faith that 'rules' their
> lives but are not part of an 'organized religion'--while others see them
> intertwined moreso than others.  Are you looking for the personal
> religious faith as well as the people who might have more of an 'outer'
> rules approach?

I'm looking for reasons WHY people [adults] arbitrarily forgo certain
harmless activities, and indulge in other seemingly pointless activities,
JUST BECAUSE they're not supposed to/supposed to -- according to their
particular religion.

>I can, perhaps, answer for both as I do have a belief system that some
>might say is a 'religious system' which I definitely think 'rules' my
>life. (warped as it may be <g>)

"Rules" are particular, varied and multiple and can be mixed and matched
according to your particular philosophy. Hopefully, you come by your own
set of rules by contemplation and not just because someone told you that's
what you have to do.

will it ever stop raining?
paul

Paul Stone