[lit-ideas] Re: Bet you didn't know Stanislav saved the world...

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 01:39:18 EDT

In a message dated 5/21/2004 6:30:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cskir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I wonder how many other people saved the world by ignoring things?
He didn't ignore the incoming missile alarm, but instead took a calculated
risk to stand on the side of life. At least that's how I read the article.
What gets me about this story is that Petrov probably single-handedly averted
nuclear war, and yet he is spending his retirement years in poverty and
obscurity. Note that the charity had to start a fund drive to raise a measly
$1,000
prize for him.

Anyone who single-handedly averts nuclear war should be given anything they
want for as long as they live.

Perhaps 100 million people would have died, even in a limited nuclear
exchange. Calculating from $1,000 prize they are hoping to raise for Colonel
Petrov,
he would receive one-two-hundred-thousandth of a cent for every life he may
have saved.