[lit-ideas] Re: Michael Moore and other 'nutters'

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 20:31:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oh, and speaking of whack jobs, I read a book
> yesterday that really makes
> Michael Moore look normal and Noam Chomsky look
> positively sane. It was
> called "the Biggest Secret" by a guy named David
> Icke. Well, I am
> flabbergasted at what this guy writes. How he does
> NOT get charged with 100
> counts of libel I'll never know. He calls nearly
> every leader and past
> leader of the past 40-50 years in the world a
> 'paedophile' and accuses
> hundreds of very famous people with incredible acts
> of what he calls
> 'satanism'. His book is amazingly racist, it's
> stupid, it's remarkably
> idiotic and yet it's so compelling that I read it
> straight through without
> stopping. He actually seems to believe that there is
> a secret reptilian
> race that controls the Earth's society. He invokes
> Blavatsky, Reich,
> Velikovsky, Crowley and many other 'nutters' as he
> mockingly accuses them
> of being in others' words. He seems to have
> swallowed them whole.
>
> At times, he sounds like a raving lunatic, at
> others, sometimes on the same
> page, his argument is cogent and interesting until
> he tries to draw a
> conclusion to propel his insane ideas. He has taken
> conspiracy theories to
> a whole new level. Through reading the book (he has
> lots of references to
> his other books) I get the impression that he has
> been 'at it' for quite
> some time. I must admit I was shaking my head
> through most of the hours I
> read. I out-and-out laughed at least 10 times at the
> absolutely ludicrous
> stuff he writes. Has anyone read anything by this
> guy? He seems to be
> mentally disturbed, but hey, maybe we live in
> fictitious times and live
> fictitious lives and Icke is right.

I've heard something of David Icke on another list to
which I am subscribed. The idea of a secret alien race
that has conspired to dominate the world reminds me of
a Serbian (fiction) writer who was living in America
and writing in English, Milorad Pavic. (Except that
Pavic has robots in his novels, I think.) Wonder if
Icke may have lifted it from him.

I am not sure that Icke would count as a left-wing
nuts - he is also opposed to environmentalism, that's
why the reptilians are green.

O.K.

Yahoo! Domains ? Claim yours for only $14.70/year