[lit-ideas] Re: America Bleeding

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:30:21 +0900

On 2004/11/01, at 11:12, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

> It's really scaring me that the polls show a dead heat.  That makes me=20=

>  think
> that whatever happens it will be litigated into the next decade, =20
> effectively
> handing Bush another chunk of time in which to do his  damage.

Hold on to the idea that the last Gallup Poll in 2000 showed Bush up 8=20=

points on Gore, who went on to win the popular vote. Better yet, follow=20=

the  advice of my ever so sage and committed spouse.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

It's nail-biting time, but there are still things you can do:

1) Think of the people you know who might have given up on voting and=20
let them know there's still a chance.

Because of a new law just signed, everyone who has applied for a ballot=20=

can use the federal write-in absentee ballot.

I have that ballot in digital format. So if you know someone who is=20
still waiting for a ballot, send that voter to me, now, please.

Furthermore, 8 states are still accepting faxed ballot applications. If=20=

you know someone who's a Democratic voter but just somehow forgot . . .=20=

send them to me. They could very possibly fax in their ballot requests=20=

and then vote with the federal write-in ballot.

2) Bug people in the US to vote and to volunteer. (Whoops--that should=20=

have been "reach out to.") Check out the program of calling new voters=20=

in swing states (http://abn2.civicactions.net/justvote/gotv to learn=20
more) and also try reaching Dem voters in swing states through=20
http://calls.johnkerry.com/eblocks/=A0 to encourage them to join=20
canvassing campaigns.

Polls show that Kerry is 25 points ahead among new voters=20
(http://alternet.org/election04/20316/)! But new voters, especially=20
those who signed up via websites, need a little reinforcement to get=20
them to the polls. So calling can really make a difference.

3) Organize a returns watch party, so you don't have to suffer through=20=

the suspense of Wednesday on your own.

Luckily, this year, it's a national holiday in Japan, so many of us=20
will not have to pretend to be working. We can watch the returns=20
openly--and it will be more fun to watch with other Democrats.

The watch party in Tokyo is already at full capacity. If you are down=20
in the Kansai, check out the info about the Osaka party at=20
http://www.demsjapan.jp/node/view/615.

Doesn't work for you? Do your own.  All you need is 1) CNN and 2)=20
fellow Dems. A little food would probably help, too, but you can figure=20=

that out.

If you want to organize a party in your neck of the woods, let me=20
know--I will scour the database for others in your area and put you in=20=

touch with each other.

Kerry on!

ruth mccreery
voter assistance chair, daj