[lit-ideas] Re: Alternatives to one-upmanship

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:33:45 -0400

John, I think you're wonderful, but I do take exception to the above line.
Our political debates?  What about the "political debates" of our vaunted
leaders of the free world?  You're absolutely right, though, people are
entrenched in ideology and can't see beyond it, including our political
leadership, no matter how many facts are presented to them, or, even more
tragically, no matter how much reality, like the results of the invasion of
Iraq, don't even slow down more of the same, like the Israeli invasion, or
put a dent in war talk against Iran.  The true Punch and Judy show is out
there in the real world.  I thought this interesting, especially the first
couple of paragraphs, Bush in effect playing God:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14286066/