[lit-ideas] "All languages are illiterate"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:25:41 EDT

I quoted from Caedmon, "an illiterate shepherd", and his poem and  wrote:

>>English is _essentially_ an illiterate language.

Geary, a priori, replies:

>All languages are illiterate.

Even Esperanto, o Volapueck, or the language of Principia Mathematica? I
take your point, then why do you think McCreery was leading a whole thread
towards the question as to whether the word _has_ be literate?

If we take literate to mean 'dependent on the graphic medium', then I agree
with Geary.

Every sentence, in any language, can be just _pronounced_ and not be  written.

So I think the onus probandi is on McCreery (being an anthropologist) to  let
us know what he meant.

JL