[lit-ideas] Psycholinguistic Baby Comes of Age

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:18:39 EDT

"Julie can learn to read code, but knowing code is  not going to give her any
knowledge of anything outside of how to read code." (Geary)

Exactly. Then Andreas Ramos assumed that  for Julie Krueger there is a wide
variety of lipstick that Ramos calls  'red'.

In _that_ case, Geary is right. Julie's distinctions  between, say, 13 shades
of red, is part of the behavioural repertoire of Julie.  Is knowledge of
something outside of how to tell red shades of lipstick. For why  would she be
able to tell different shades of red unless they are VITAL for her  survival
(as
a female)?

Remember that for White Speakers (English-Language  Speakers), all snow is,
er, white. But hardly for the Eskimos who distinguish  between (or among) 47
shades of 'snow-color'.

It would be easy to test if children think before they  speak if it not were
for Mothers and their Motherese. Allow me to report an  experiment recently
published in THE LANCET.

THE LANCET. Aug. 6 2005. M. J. Geary, PhD and his  associates, J. L.
Speranza, PhD and Martina Stilton have recently undertaken a  long-waited
experiments.
In the attic of the campus of the Memphis Metaphysical  Ministry, they have
been 'educating' Miss Stilton's baby without the aid of  language. The point is
explained by the Director of Research,  Geary.

GEARY. We don't believe the word is essentially  literate.

LANCET. What does has to do with not allowing the  child the input of human
language?

GEARY. We provide him with all sorts of different  input -- but not
artificial, arbitrary syntagms -- your common or garden  'English syntax'

STILTON. I hum him tunes, though (she  giggles).

SPERANZA. And I, unintentionally, sometimes curse in  Romanian in his
presence -- hardly an articulation, though.

LANCET. How old is the baby now.

GEARY. Well, you see. Your language is trapped in its  own constellations of
presuppositions. He has come of age now. Growing a beard  and all. And he's so
_peaceful_.

LANCET. How does he communicate with  you?

STILTON. He doesn't, mostly -- but we take that as his  will _not_ to be
*enforced* into preconceived world of opinions, and  beliefs.

GEARY (interrupting her, or following her train of  thoughts). Beliefs that
we later discard. This Baby is going to be  DIFFERENT.

(c) LANCET

Cheers,

JL Speranza
Buenos Aires,  Argentina.