[lit-ideas] Re: "All languages are illiterate"

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:32:04 -0500

JMcC:
What I am looking for is even one example of a preliterate people
with a creation myth in which the Word or words bring the cosmos into
being.

Dunno. But I'm of three minds: (1) literacy objectifies language and makes it available for fetishism, (2) literacy robs words of magic by making them just another commodity, (3) I can't remember the third. Were the images in cave paintings, magic evocative or just decorative? We'll never know, will we? Never know because no one back then bothered to write down either the price or the prayer. Even today Jews eschew speaking the divine name, while Muslims call on Allah day and night, but avoid all images of divinity like the plague. Christians, however, though middle sibling to the other two, glory in gory scenes of God's torture and slaughter and constantly call upon God in the most obscene ways. Go figure.

Obviously John has some thesis in mind that, can he find supporting evidence, will bring together disparate elements of our pre-literate and post-literate experiences as a species into a unified theory of an ur-urge to talk our way into a better world or at least a better paying job. Perhaps John's thesis is my third point that I can't remember. We'll probably never know.

Mike Geary
Ministering to Memphis Metaphysically

----- Original Message ----- From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>