[lit-ideas] Al Quaeda and Suitcase Nukes

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:33:54 -0800

Teemu:  In regard to the potency of a suitcase bomb, I have no special
knowledge.  George Friedman has it at 10 kilotons and you at 200 pounds.  If
you are right we have far less to fear than if Friedman is right.  However,
that Friedman could be wrong would surprise me.  He is head of Stratfor
http://www.stratfor.com/ Surely such a person should be expected to know
about suitcase bombs.  What source do you have for the size of these bombs?

I just did a Google Search on suitcase bombs and found the following:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,76990,00.html which describes suitcase
bombs as being in the 10-20 kiloton range.  It describes coffee-can sized
bombs as being in the 3-5 kiloton range.  The following seems to be the same
information provided on a site associated with Homeland Security:
http://www.nationalterroralert.com/readyguide/suitcasenuke.htm

You write that Bush's reaction (if Friedman is accurate about it) in regard
to the possibility of Al Quaeda having suitcase bombs bothers you, but
perhaps this matter should be contingent upon the potency of the suitcase
bomb.  If you are right and such bombs could do little more than blow up a
single building then Bush was indeed overreacting.  But if Friedman,
Homeland Security and others are right and these bombs contain 10-20
kilotons of potency then Bush wasn't overreacting.  He was being responsible
in doing everything possible to make sure every nation's nuclear weapons
were secured.  Again if Friedman is right, Musharraf took measures to assure
Bush that Pakistan's nuclear weapons and technology were secure.  Qhadaffi
during this period made the decision give up his nuclear weapons.  He also
did everything possible to get cooperation from states that supported or at
least tolerated Al Quaeda in tracking down Al Quaeda members.  In retrospect
he did about all he could do.  He did (if Friedman is correct) intrude
himself into several nations with enough threats to get the assurance he was
looking for.  I tend not to be unhappy with him for doing that.  I realize
others might have a different opinion.

As to the "intelligence" providing definitive information to Bush so that he
wouldn't have to act on mere possibility, Friedman indicate that definitive
information was not acquirable.  Intelligence had done its best and could
only tell Bush that there were sources that said Al Quaeda had suitcase
bombs.  While it was not probable that they had them, it was possible.  If
suitcase bombs are in the 10-20 kiloton range then Bush acted responsibly.
If they are in the 200 pound range then he did not, but I can find no site
that supports your view of suitcase bombs.

Lawrence