[lit-ideas] Re: A Handout for Julie

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:23:06 -0800

On Feb 23, 2007, at 12:50 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

Dear God, and I thought I was wasting my life!

No, no, that would be me, back from a supermarket parking lot in which some twit from Fox News asked me what he said were fifth grade science questions, as follows:

What was the name of the first satellite in space?
On which planetary moon are you likely to find ice?
What was the name of the satellite that revealed there was ice at the south pole of our moon?
What does Geo stand for?

Since British education taught me absolutely nothing about space, I felt weirdly proud that I might possibly scrape through fifth grade in America, and particularly proud of working out from first principles what Geo might mean.

So why say I'm wasting my life? Because I've been reading about a cat that eats berries, and humans who pay gobs of money for what that cat excretes. Read all about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon

Sputnik
Europa (all I knew was that it had to be orbiting Jupiter)
Constantine (hadn't a clue--how many satellites can you name? I recalled "Telstar" because, the British having had a financial stake in the thing, we learned about it)
Geosynchronous Earth Orbit