[lit-ideas] Re: 500 pixs?

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 05:53:21 -0700 (PDT)

This may get too technical for this list, but usually
compressing (zip) already compressed data (jpg) get's
you no where, that is zip of a jpg is couple per cent
reduction and may actually grow the file size. See for
example the discussion at
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=96535

But to solve the bandwidth issue, how about
peer-to-peer? That is using Kazaa or something
similar, maybe even a private peer-to-peer network
simply because it would be so cool to have a private
P2P. So Andreas puts the pixs in his shared directory,
and notifies his buddies of their location, for
example Kazaa user name. (Which would be different
user name then the one used for dowloading pictures
one wishes to keep private.) Now when Bob downloads
the pictures, they and up Bob's shared directory. Then
when Cheryl want's to download them, the load is
distributed between Andreas's and Bob's network
connection. And so on.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland