[lit-ideas] Re: 500 pixs?

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:47:06 -0500

Andreas Ramos wrote:

>I recently took some 550 photographs. These are all digital and fill about
>900 MB in png format. I can convert them to jpg format, which fills only 150
>MB.

For viewing on a computer screen, JPG files are perfect. But SAVE the
originals; make jpg COPIES, especially if you are ever going to print
the photos. .JPG files don't print as well as files in BMP or TIF or PNG
format because JPG files are "lossy." They "smooth" details to save
storage space.  When the resolution of the JPG matches the resolution of
the screen, and when you have the JPG format set to highest quality, you
will NOT notice any loss when viewing on the screen, though.

>But that's too large (150 MB) for a webpage. And it's not likely anyone will
>sit for a 500-photo slideshow.

Adobe Photoshop Elements (the cheapie version) has a "batch" option that
creates web pages in several formats, creates "thumbnails" of each
photo, and makes lower resolution jpg files at the resolution you
choose. It will save the whole mess to the subdirectory you choose,
making it easy to create a website or slideshow. Just copy onto CD and
you're in business--tell your family to start their "browser" and point
to "index.htm" on the CD.  And you may be surprised that 500 photos
might be even less than 150 MB; you may want to look into putting them
on line somewhere.

The other option is to create a DVD slide show, if you have access to a
DVD burner.  Most bundled DVD editing software will let you specify
still images instead of video clips; you can set up all 500 photos in
one show, or create a menu to select which part to view. Then set up the
"slides" with video transitions between slides, and even add your own
soundtrack for the slide show.  Even if you don't have a DVD burner, you
can almost always use the software to burn a CD video that does the same
thing. It doesn't give access to individual photos, though, only the
show. But with DVD you have room to add all the photos AND the slideshow.

>How does one distribute 550 photos? I'm thinking of putting these on a CD
>(only five cents per CD to duplicate on my computer) and sending those out
>to friends.

The cheapest and easiest option.

>Does anyone have ideas on how to add text to the pixs?

Two options here: Add a line of text into the actual photo image, or
place the photo on a web page and add text to the web page. The first is
harder to do, but I think "imagoweb" (shareware) will do it.  If my
memory  is faulty (quite possible!) there are other shareware  photo
editing programs on the web that will do this.

The second option is easier; Photoshop Elements creates the basic web
pages automatically. You can then go back into each page and add
whatever text you want around the photo image. The Photoshop Elements
batch creation DOES have forward, back, start buttons, and handles all
the "links" from page to page completely automatically. Just select
several options in the batch setup (not quite intuitive; look for them),
point the program to your 500 images, and wait about 5 minutes until it
makes everything automatically.

>Is there some sort of
>software that allows one to make "photo albums", with pixs, text, and
>navigation buttons (forward, back, etc.)? I don't want the software to
>reduce the image size: these are high resolution photos, best seen on a full
>screen. One can zoom in quite a few steps.
>
>Has anyone seen software that can do this?
>
>Digital cameras create a new problem: too many photos. A friend has six
>256-MB memory chips; she is taking some 2,000 photos per month. How does one
>distribute such large amounts of photos?

Would you distribute every single one of the slides you took? Or make
copies of each and every negative?  The principles of photography
haven't changed; SELECT YOUR BEST and archive the rest.

>In Paris at the museums, I saw people who simply walked by the artwork,
>holding out their digital cameras, taking photos of everything. Click.
>Click. Click. They didn't even slow down. Just click, click, click. Look at
>the artwork later.

That could have been me.  I take college students overseas for our
spirng break in March and I'll be taking students to Florence in
January.  Students will be working in teams to create web pages of their
on foot and on line research about the art works we study, and I like to
have a few "starter" images of lots of things to get them going.