[Linuxtrent] Re: Lettura Obbligatoria

  • From: "Roberto A. Foglietta" <roberto.foglietta@xxxxxx>
  • To: linuxtrent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:34:11 +0200

Daniele Nicolodi wrote:

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~val/howto.html

HOWTO Encourage Women in Linux

Così magari per quando torno trovo maggiori stimoli a partecipare alle
attività del LinuxTrent :-)

Women are less confident

Women severely underestimate their abilities in many areas, but especially with respect to computers. One study about this topic is Undergraduate Women in Computer Science: Experience, Motivation, and Culture: http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~gendergap/papers/sigcse97/sigcse97.html

For example, while 53% of the male computer science freshman rated themselves as highly prepared for their CS courses, 0% of the female CS freshman rated themselves similarly. But at the end of the year, 6 out the 7 female students interviewed had either an A or B average. Objective ratings (such as grade point averages or quality and speed of programming) don't agree with most women's self-estimation. I personally encountered this phenomenon: Despite plenty of objective evidence to the contrary, including grades, time spent on assignments, and high placement in a programming contest, I still didn't consider myself to be at the top of my class in college. Looking back objectively, it seems clear to me that I was performing as well or better than many of the far more confident men in my class.

 --

Io non sono intimidito dal cucinare un arrosto o lavare un pavimento.
Stando così le cose è giusto che restino in cucina, in camera da letto, e ne escano quando saranno sufficientemente self-confident da ambire alla parità senza mendicarla. Non ci sono faccette per dimenticanza.

Ciao, -- Roberto A. Foglietta Analista Programmatore GNU/Linux SAD Trasporto Locale S.p.a. Corso Italia 13/N 39100 BOLZANO (I)

Tel.    +39/0471-450.261
Fax     +39/0471-450.253