[Linux-Anyway] Re: Slack -- very promising

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 01:58:27 +0100

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 17:40:36 -0500
Scott wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 11:36:25AM -0800, Meph Istopheles wrote:
> >   Started installing slack on the AMD box, & it's actually
> > working.  I'm only in the package install on disk one at this
> > point, but there are no errors so far.
> >
> >   Tomorrow, I plan to install the second hard drive & install
> > gentoo on it.
>
> Heh, this could start a war on the list, with fans of each.  :)

You need two for a war, and since we seem to be a kinda short on
unreasoning distroxxx-drones, 'taint gonna be...

> Gentoo, once it's built, is easier to keep updated. Slack is more
> stable.  Gentoo seems (no benchmarks, totally subjective) faster.  :)

Amazingly fast. The speed spoilt me for any other distro on any system
requiring top performance with given hardware, or any system I've time
to work on and which requires no exceptional security or stability
(though it is very stable as well).

On a related note (hope someone buys that), we had a box rooted a couple
of days ago. It's an old SuSE 7.1 box, it was entered through a weak ftp
password, it was rooted through a kernel call bug, and it got a rootkit
installed. The damage wasn't big. The cracker (whom I find quite
sympatic, by the way) limited himself to defacing a website by
exchanging sections of images for images of men with erected penises,
which I think quite funny, especially since the company is exporting
mostly to the US. Glass picture frames, for example, and the sample
image in the frame got exchanged.
The rootkit, called tuxkit, attempts to lock the admin out by hiding
files, substituting the ssh daemon with its own, disabling consoles etc,
so we had a bit of trouble getting access to it. I started it with the
mini-knoppix CD I carry around in my wallet, we chrooted to the original
install, reinstalled ssh and logged in. From then on, it was easy - the
rootkit had even backed up the files it had changed.

The mini-knoppix CD is great, by the way. We also had a HD failure on a
quite important router, we had no quick replacement, so we took a
desktop machine, slapped in additional NIC's, did a HD install of
Knoppix (with the knx-hdinstall utility), configured it, and it works
flawlessly. We had it up and running in a couple of hours, installed off
something that takes less room in my wallet than a printout of an MS
license on a very thin paper would.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui