[Linux-Anyway] Re: Sheesh!

  • From: horrorvacui@xxxxxxx
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:44:11 +0200

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:52:10 -0700
"Meph Istopheles" <Meph@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Anyway, now I'm back up & using my XP box.  Why can't I use my
> Linux box?  Well, for some reason, eth1 won't work.  I've wasted
> all sorts of time today trying to get it to, but it simply
> won't -- keeps coming up "No such device", even when I set multi
> (using multicast, as RH supports it, & I only have the one nic in
> the box -- & it ~was~ working).
>
>   Now, I've only a little time before I have to shower for work.

Woopsy - seen the post a bit late. You still in the shower?

> Anyone know what could keep eth1 from working?  Maybe I'm not
> entering the correct commands:

Er, could it be that you really don't have an eth1? If it's really the
only NIC in the box, it'll be eth0. Or did you mean the only NIC except
for some onboard crap NIC?

Otherwise, try lspci and see if you can determine which module it needs,
see if the module is loaded, reload if yes etc... I occasionaly have a
problem with my realtek NIC (the one that connects to my ADSL modem) - I
loose connection, the pptp says "no route to host" even if I restart
networking and configure a host route manually. That's the modules fault,
it crashes.

--
Horror Vacui

Registered Linux user #257714