[Linux-Anyway] Sheesh!

  • From: "Meph Istopheles" <Meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Anyway" <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:52:10 -0700

  Hey,

  Been gone awhile -- moved to a new apartment.  Then, my
adsl/phone providor had told me that they could just move the
service from one address to another & would be working by the
28th of last month.  Turns out that the adsl department disagreed
but didn't bother to tell anyone that they don't do moves of
service.  So, I had to wait another week for them to get round to
setting up the service as if it were an initial order.

  Anyway, now I'm back up & using my XP box.  Why can't I use my
Linux box?  Well, for some reason, eth1 won't work.  I've wasted
all sorts of time today trying to get it to, but it simply
won't -- keeps coming up "No such device", even when I set multi
(using multicast, as RH supports it, & I only have the one nic in
the box -- & it ~was~ working).

  Now, I've only a little time before I have to shower for work.
Anyone know what could keep eth1 from working?  Maybe I'm not
entering the correct commands:

In no particular order:
ifconfig eth1 interface
route add -net 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth1 (my adsl
router is 10.0.0.1)
ifconfig multicast

  Anyway, I'd taken a look at linuxconf, & it was showing eth1
with a 192.... address.  Changed it, & there's no change -- I
still get: eth1 No such device.

  I hate 'puters.

  Meph

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux.