[Linux-Anyway] Re: On /home/user/mail

  • From: Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 09:49:57 +0100

Sat, 30 Jun 2018 22:43:29 -0700 (PDT) scripsit Meph Istopheles:

> (forced to because sendmail's impossible to close up)

Yet another myth which refuses to die.

Sendmail isn't easy to configure unless you use a .mc file and the m4
macroprocessor to generate your sendmail.mc file, granted, in fact it's damn
near impossible, but one thing sendmail is *NOT* is a wide open relay. No
longer. The days of sendmail being an open relay by default go back to
before v8.9.x.

There have also been security scares with sendmail, yet it remains the #1
MTA. There are also security scares with Apache but does everyone say you
shouldn't use it because it's impossible to lock down?

Windows is full of security holes but do we go around telling people they
shouldn't.... Uhh... Forget it... :)

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx -- gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)