[Linux-Anyway] Re: On hdb

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:43:46 -0800 (PST)

> >   Don't know if this is how it's supposed to be in slack, but
> > hdb won't allow me to change ownership of files.  It may be
> > that it's in vfat, as it came from a W98 box, & I ~can~
> > repartition & format it ext2 or 3, if that'll fix it, but I
> > don't know that either.

> >   Anyway, this is the line in fstab:

> > /dev/hdb1     /backup       vfat      umask=0,silent,rw 1 0

> >   Is there anything else which would allow it to be up to me
> > who owns what?

> Nay. FAT has no concept of file ownership or permissions, so as
> long it is FAT, every file is open to access from anybody who
> has any access at all.

  In theory, this is true.  But before I'd sent the umask, my
user couldn't even ls /backup.

> If you want access control, you have to change it to ext 2 or
> 3, which will of course let you set permissions. But this will
> of course prevent any MS OS from reading those partitions as
> well. NTFS has permissions, but in most cases you have read
> only access with Linux.

  That's not a problem...just time consuming.  I'll have to move
eveything first, of course before hand.  I was just hoping for
some setting which would save me the trouble.

  It's not that I really need that drive to be vfat, after all.
But I was thinking that it would be useful by moving it back &
forth between this & the Windows box if needed.

--
  In Seattle, Washington, it is illegal to carry a concealed
  weapon that is over six feet in length.