[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: liblouisutdml documentation

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mwhapples@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 22:15:49 +0100

I forgot to ask, how much work would it be for the texinfo or its HTML output to be converted into ePub? I imagine there might be a tool which might be able to do it automatically.

Michael Whapples
On 17/06/2014 20:24, John J. Boyer wrote:
I have never been keen on texinfo, but some people on this list really
like it. I would rather see the documentation in an xml flavor, such as
epub.

One thing people could do is submit documentation for particular
features as text files in attachments to messages to this list.

John

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 06:15:45PM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
As John has commented, it appears that nobody is updating the
documentation in liblouisutdml.

There are whole features undocumented (eg. the macros feature,
assigning a style without a semantic action, etc). Also there are
probably things which need better explanations.

So we need to ask the question why is the documentation not being
updated and what can be done to improve the situation?

Speaking for myself, the use of texinfo is a roadblock for me to
update it, and also at the moment there are too many unknowns in the
workings of liblouisutdml for me sometimes to clarify things which
are not clear in the documentation (looking at the source code
sometimes does not even help, it possibly confuses it even more and
one cannot be sure whether the actual working of the code is the
intended behaviour when the code is the only reference).

What is the case for others involved in liblouisutdml (either simply
using it or may be developing it) as to why they do not update the
documentation?

Do we have a simple lack of people?

Michael Whapples