[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: liblouis on MacPorts

  • From: David Sweetman <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 15:02:54 -0400

The version on MacPorts actually installs fine — the problem you’re getting is
that you’ve already installed liblouis in the same place MacPorts is attempting
to install it. You could force an overwrite as the error message suggests by
running ‘port -f activate liblouis’

In any case I feel fairly sure that bundling the library with your app when
providing it to end-users is the preferred distribution model (while providing
options to use system-provided liblouis versions and especially user-provided
tables, as specified by the license). If this is the case, a MacPorts/Homebrew
installers would mostly benefit developers. For end-users, there are too many
variables you can’t control if you’re trying to build from source and install
system-wide binaries — you’ve encountered plenty of them, imagine trying to
respond to support requests from non-developers on these types of issues.
Bundling the library removes most of those variables. Anyway that’s just my 2c;
it would be great to keep the MacPorts version more up-to-date.