[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: intro and a few getting started questions

  • From: Bert Frees <bertfrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 10:59:34 +0100

Laurel writes:

> Ok I see what you are saying, I typed that in and got
>
> Laurels-MBP:downloads laurelwheeler$ brew link --overwrite --force texinfo
> Linking /usr/local/Cellar/texinfo/5.2...
> Error: Could not symlink share/texinfo/DebugTexinfo/DebugCount.pm
> /usr/local/share/texinfo/DebugTexinfo is not writable.

Try:

    sudo chown -R $USER /usr/local/

Another solution that just came to mind (but which I haven't tried myself) is to
skip the whole Homebrew linking part and just use the makeinfo executable from
the Homebrew Cellar directly. Something like this:

    export PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/texinfo/5.2/bin:$PATH
    ./configure
    make

(please check that the directory "/usr/local/Cellar/texinfo/5.2/bin" actually
contains "makeinfo", I'm not on a Mac right now)

Note that all these issues you're having aren't really related to liblouis
itself, only with the installation of its dependencies on Mac OS. And the
annoying thing is that makeinfo isn't even an essential dependency, so it
shouldn't be blocking the installation process.

You could of course always change the required makeinfo version in configure
as Harri Pasanen suggested.

> so, I guess back to the drawing board for me. When I navigate through
> my folders I can find the homebrew folder under library and cashes or
> something like this, I've not found any texinfo or makeinfo files
> anywhere else. Ah well, more research for me. I swear, when I finally
> get Liblouis installed, I will be the happiest ever! I've almost
> entirely written up what would go in the new Armenian braille table,
> so I have the information all written down because I read the Liblouis
> tutorials and everything, so literally this is the only thing keeping
> me from succeeding with my entire project. I will not give up though.

Great :) Hope your patience won't be tested for much longer.

> Laurel
>
> On 1/5/15, Bert Frees <bertfrees@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Laurel,
>>
>> Homebrew suggests you force the linking because the formula is "keg-only",
>> and
>> that you overwrite any files already installed, because you've manually
>> tried to
>> install texinfo:
>>
>>    brew link --overwrite --force texinfo
>>

>> Laurel and Stockard writes:
>>
>>> I tried switching the makeinfo req version from 5 to 4.8 in configure,
>>> didn't
>>> work. I think my problem is symlinking texinfo 5.2 to my original makeinfo
>>> on
>>> my computer, see my other email for more. I did download the OS fix from
>>> github. Hopefully I can get this going at some point.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Laurel
>>
>> Laurel and Stockard writes:
>>
>>> I downloaded the latest fix from github like you all suggested. I still
>>> get
>>> the same makeinfo 5.0 error. So, I downloaded Homebrew like one of you
>>> gentlemen suggested and used that to install texinfo 5.2. I followed the
>>> directions that someone here on list gave me, I can't remember who but
>>> thank
>>> you for this, and I have one error message that I can't figure out how to
>>> work
>>> around. I'm going to paste my terminal window below, and if one of you