[liblouis-liblouisxml] Tables directory

  • From: "Eitan Isaacson" <eitan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:04:07 +0200

Hi John,

One of the differences between our liblouis versions is that you opted
to put the tables in /etc. I chose /usr/share.
After looking again at the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard[1], I still
think the tables belong under /usr/share.
/etc is for host-specific configuration files[2], while /usr/share is
for architecture-independent data files[3].

While a user might choose to tweak the files, this would not be
typical use. She could either copy the table files,
and create a personalized version, or she could modify it in-place
with superuser privileges, just like editing a etc file.

Also, the /etc directory is problematic because it is outside of the
standard install prefix,
so exceptions sometimes need to be made if we are configured to an
alternative prefix.

1. http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
2.
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#ETCHOSTSPECIFICSYSTEMCONFIGURATION