[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Building on Cygwin

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:02:28 +1000

On 18/12/2008 7:57 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
liblouis-1.4.0.tar.gz builds both the library and the tools on Cygwin.
Note that you actually want to build it with mingw, whether within Cygwin itself or using mingw directly. Building in Cygwin natively means it will depend on Cygwin dlls, which is not desirable for a native Windows library.

Doing this is a little tricky under Cygwin. You need to:
1. Create a script called /usr/local/bin/mgcc which includes the following:
--begin--
#!/bin/bash
gcc -mno-cygwin "$@"
--end--
2. Run configure like this:
./configure CC=mgcc --build=mingw32

I've never managed to get liblouisxml to compile like this, but I confess that i haven't tried so hard yet. I suspect the problem will be that it will try to link against libxml2 in Cygwin, but the libxml2 package in Cygwin depends on Cygwin dlls, so it will probably fail. A native build of libxml2 probably needs to be used.

--
James Teh
Email/MSN Messenger/Jabber: jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx