[leveller] Re: Question for Ray?

  • From: Ray Gardener <rayg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leveller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 12:01:55 -0700

I've confirmed here that Leveller's STL output is importable into MeshLab. The STL plug-in should exist in Leveller 1.4 although the last update was Aug 2005 (solid mode added).

MeshLab interprets Leveller STL output with the triangles facing backwards, not sure if I'm doing it wrong although it's easy to flip them around in MeshLab.

Ray

Bob Rasmussen wrote:
Good Morning, Ray...

I am working on a project that requires submitting a 3D object to a CNC shop.

I am developing prototype professional pitching horseshoes. Currently, I am
submitting a pattern to the caster made of Beechwood.  I have access to a
CNC shop capable of cutting the shape and conforming to the requirements
of the casting shop.  However, I need to output to some package capable
of G-Code output. My CNC shop presently utilizes MeshLab.

I am still running Leveller 1.4 and am considering upgrading/changing to the current version of Leveller. I want to be able to export to some 3D package that allows me to finalize the output from Leveller. So, am needing a list of the 3D software that best handles
Leveller output.  I am presently working with Googles SketchUp and Blender.
Any recommendation will be appreciated.

Regards...Bob Rasmussen (see testimonial 1999)