[LRflex] Re: shooting sports with the leica r system

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:06:46 -0800

Charlie wrote:

Richard,

Sports shooting with R lenses is no different to the days before autofocus. AF does make sports photographer a whole lot easier though - why do you think most top sports photogs have gone the way of Canikon?

But never fear, it's still doable in the old fashioned way.

Hi Richard!

Charlie's right. One of the problems for many of us is that we want the easy way ... and although AF is a great convenience, it is not a panacea. When shooting sports, I have almost as many failures with AF as with MF.

Proof that it can be done can be found in Rob Stevens' (Halifax, NS, Canada) sports photos ... Rob is not a member of this list, but is a long time sports shooter -mostly with Leica Rs. (He's actually the only guy I know who owns the modular Telyt system!)

http://www.sportsshooter.com/port_popup.html?mem_id=752&i_id=329899

My own modest efforts, all with the 80~200/4 Vario on either an R8/DMR or adapted to a Canon 30D, can be seen here:

http://www.main.furnfeather.net/LL-Life/MHH_title.htm
(Links to more are on this page)

http://www.main.furnfeather.net/LL-Life/Skate09/Skate09.html

http://www.main.furnfeather.net/LL-Life/Pond_hockey_07.htm

The key is not to whimper about how hard it is w/o AF, but to practice your skills and take your best shot at it. You'll be surprised what you can accomplish.

I'll never forget our own Dr. Ted's method of training for the Olympics, with his Leicas. He'd stand by the side of the highway, shooting the license plates of approaching cars (all doing around 100kph, or 62mph - if you prefer). When 30 out of 36 shots were sharp, he was ready!

So, take the bull by the horns and give it a try. Show us what you manage, even if it's less than perfect. You'll find the skills you gain will help you in all aspects of your photography.

David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Personal Website: www.main.furnfeather.net