[LRflex] Re: shooting sports with the leica r system

  • From: Charlie Chan <topoxforddoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 07:33:52 +0000

Richard,

Sports shooting with R lenses is no different to the days before autofocus. AF does make sports photographer a whole lot easier though - why do you think most top sports photogs have gone the way of Canikon?

But never fear, it's still doable in the old fashioned way. Not sure how easy it's going to be with the Digilux 3 though, as the VF isn't the best by any means. I've used my DMR for sports (Rugby and motorsport) and it works fine. I tend to watch one area and have my lens pre-focussed - anticipate and wait for the action to come to me and bingo! So in basketball, I would concentrate on the goal area and the basket, pre-focus there and wait for the shot.

I haven't put any of my rugby shots up in website yet, but there;s plenty of motorsport shot using my R9/DMR.

Charlie Chan
Cheltenham, UK

topoxforddoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.cancer-surgeon.co.uk
www.charlie-chan.co.uk

On 30 Dec 2009, at 16:22, Richard wrote:

Thanks for your comments on the zoom lenses.

I love shooting action shots ie basketball football and feel very compromised with our current Leica technology.

I have tried the digilux 3 with my r lenses but its too slow, the dmr seems slower. The motor on film is obviously faster but film and scanning has been too time consuming.

Is anyone shooting this genre of phtography who can give me some direction? Ive like many of you been waiting on a Leica solution and still waiting.

I ve not used canon or nikon bodies yet hoping Leica will come around with something for the photos I am shooting.