[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V3 #294

  • From: "KEITH LONGMORE" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:45:46 +0100

Hi all
Many thanks to the replies to my first posting, and the R3 question - very
interesting and helpful!  Douglas Sharp's comments:
1.  Batteries are fine, and yes, I did clean them.  Contacts are fine.
2.  Needle remains at the bottom whatever you do.
3.  On automatic, the shutter opens, and stays open; the only way to close
it again is to turn the speed dial off Auto - with difficulty; it won't move
until the longest shutter opening has expired.
Sounds like an open circuit sensor to me - but since there are three (?)
that doesn't make sense.  If I remember correctly, the old Minolta had a lot
of flexible printed circuits in it, so maybe one has cracked?

Incidentally, the thing that has 'switched me on' with these Leicas is the
excellent smoothness, and quietness of the shutter, especially the R3.
As well as super-sharp photos.  My Canon EOS 600 shutter goes with quite a
jolt and is really noisy (as is its auto focus), and the Canon zoom lenses
are nowhere near as sharp as the Leica ones.

Cheers for now.
Keith L

To: "leicareflex digest users" <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: leicareflex Digest V3 #294
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 07:01:46 +0100

Leica Reflex Forum Digest
+------------------------+------------------------------------
leicareflex Digest      Wed, 25 Oct 2006        Volume: 03  Issue: 294

In This Issue:
                [LRflex] Re: R-10 Survey Results...
                [LRflex] R3 meter
                [LRflex] Re: R-10 Survey Results...
                [LRflex] Re: R-10 Survey Results...
                [LRflex] Re: R-10 Survey Results...
                [LRflex] Re: R-10 Survey Results...
                [LRflex] Re: R3 meter
                [LRflex] Re: R-10 Survey Results...
                [LRflex] Re: R3 meter
                [LRflex] new leica user almost
                [LRflex] Re: new leica user almost
                [LRflex] Re: new leica user almost

From: "Chris Birchenhall" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: R-10 Survey Results...
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:01:13 +0100

David

Thanks for all your efforts and reporting back.

Chris

From: "KEITH LONGMORE" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] R3 meter
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:32:25 +0100

Hi everyone!
My name's Keith Longmore; I live in Norfolk, England.  I have a
(ridiculously, according to my wife) large collection of cameras, including
quite a few spy and miniature cameras.  Two of the collection are Leica
Reflexes, an R-E, with macro lenses, and an R3.  I use the R-E, which is
immaculate, and get excellent results.  However, the R3's meter doesn't work
- absolutely dead -  (though the shutter is fine) and I was wondering if
anyone out there might have any comments or information?  I know it's much
the same as the Minolta XE-1 (my daughter had one, on which the shutter
failed, but it had a good meter, and I threw.it.away.!  That was pre-R3.).
Is it an expensive item to sort?

Cheers folks

Keith L

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:58:41 +0200
From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Plus one - Great job indeed - now we have a profile  :-)
I had added some concerns about dust, dampness flash photography, and
others, did you  get much of this type of  remarks ? If so, perhaps you
could just post a list of the "other things" to look at. If you still
have time and energy for it of course. I guess this survey was somewhat
time-consuming and I'm also sorry only a portion of dedicated Leica
users has answered.

Thanks again
Phileicangenieux

------------------------------

From: "Gary Pinkerton" <gpinkcp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:08:27 -0500

Thanks David
Interesting outcome.

------------------------------

From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:03:35 -0700

As someone who DID complete the survey, many thanks for this.  Many options
seem to be a wash - close to 50/50.  Some options are very strongly wanted
or not wanted.  With such a small survey, it will be difficult to assign any

conficence interfals to many of the options, but it is interesting, and I
think you hit upon all the major options that Leica could take.

Aram

> [...]
>cards.  Faster writing means you can empty the buffer and shoot more
>rapidly, but faster processors consume more battery power.  To you, is
>

>[A] battery life more important than card writing speed, or        40.0%
>[B] speed of writing to cards more important than battery life?    60.0%
>

>[19] Mechanical noise is always a factor in any camera.  Recently I
>used a Nikon D-200 and was pleasantly surprised at it's lower noise
>level.  How important is it to you that the new "R" be mechanically
>quieter than the current models?
>
>[A] very important,         31.1%
>[B] not too important or    57.8%
>[C] not important at all.   11.1%
>

>[20] Price is always a factor.  Remembering that the new M8 is
>approximately US$5000 and the R9/DMR combo is around $7,500, what
>would you expect pay for a new Leica 'R' - assuming it has most of

http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spa
ces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

------------------------------

From: William Abbott <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:29:56 -0700

David,

Thank you for the thoughtful survey choices and for compiling the
results.  I'll tuck them away to compare with it when it arrives.
I hope Leica will find them useful in choosing their "point design"
among the many parameters.

All my best,

Bill

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:52:09 -0700
From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: R3 meter

At 25/10/2006, you wrote:

>Hi everyone!
>My name's Keith Longmore; I live in Norfolk, England.  I have a
>(ridiculously, according to my wife) large collection of cameras, including
>quite a few spy and miniature cameras.  Two of the collection are Leica
>Reflexes, an R-E, with macro lenses, and an R3.  I use the R-E, which is
>immaculate, and get excellent results.  However, the R3's meter doesn't
work
>- absolutely dead -  (though the shutter is fine) and I was wondering if
>anyone out there might have any comments or information?  I know it's much
>the same as the Minolta XE-1 (my daughter had one, on which the shutter
>failed, but it had a good meter, and I threw.it.away.!  That was pre-R3.).
>Is it an expensive item to sort?

Hi Keith!

I cannot comment on the R3's meter, specifically.  Although I no
longer have the data at hand, I know that Kindermann, the Canadian
repair agency used to charge a significant premium for a CLA on an R3
as compared to the late 'R' cameras.  As well, they would only
guarantee the repairs for 90 days, even though all other repairs were
guaranteed for 12 months.

I'd ask around at some reputable UK repair shops... there are a few
independents specializing in Leica.  They should be able to give you
more guidance.

Good luck!  Keep us posted on what you find out, will you?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:57:03 +0100
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>

Aram wrote:

>As someone who DID complete the survey, many thanks for this.  Many options
>seem to be a wash - close to 50/50.  Some options are very strongly wanted
>or not wanted.  With such a small survey, it will be difficult to assign
any
>conficence interfals to many of the options, but it is interesting, and I
>think you hit upon all the major options that Leica could take.

It is indeed a pity that apathy is alive and well, and that more
people didn't answer the questionnaire.

What is not generally realised about these sort of polls is the
importance of statistical error - commonly called standard
deviations. Most polls are happy with a plus/minus result of two SDs,
which means there's a 95+% probability of the results being accurate
within these limits for a random sample.

See:

http://www.robertniles.com/stats/stdev.shtml

for a pretty good layman's explanation.

The bigger the random sample, the more accurate the result is likely to be.

David's survey, of course, is not conducted amongst a random sample.
For instance, 100% of the respondents to the survey know what a Leica
R is. In the general population, I doubt if the figure is 1%.

Nevertheless, this is useful feedback to Leica, and bouquets to David
for taking the time and trouble to make it happen.

The one question he didn't ask is "Would you buy an R10 at this
price?" I wouldn't, and neither, regrettably, would I buy an M8. It's
a great camera undoubtedly. See my shots, if you haven't already, at:

http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor

and follow the Wetzlar link.

But I, for one, am very happy with my film Ms (not to mention my film
LTMs), and recently bought a Nikon D200 body at about a quarter of
the price of the M8. This is my only digital camera. Not only does it
deliver excellent results, but it will also work with most of my
large collection of manual focus Nikkors. No lens bar-coding - you
just tell the camera what focal length you're using and the maximum
aperture thereof. The camera even remembers the last one you used....

  What I would be interested in, and so far I can't find any info, is
how many advance orders for the M8 Leica actually has. Be assured the
R10 will not happen unless the M8 is a runaway success, which I'm
sure we all hope it will be.

Best

Alex
--
Alex & Carmel Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 21 454 3328
Mobile: +353 87 245 7048
Work: +353 21 427 0907
email: corkflor@xxxxxx
Home Pages: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:00:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Javier Perez <summarex@xxxxxxxxx>

I think your best be might be to source a new R3 or
maybe an R4. R3s are under well 200 and R4es under
300. I'm guessing a metrer repair might run about 150
unless it happens to be very easy.

BTW: Does the needle swing all the way down when the
thing is turned on? Sometimes that can cause the
appearance that the meter is dead but it's not. Look
through the finder while powering up to find out. If
the needle deflects all the way, you may simply have a
dirty asa dial whuich you can clean yourself. Also
flick between spot and average and see if the needle
deflects any whyle changing metering modes. This too
might indicate a contact problem. Also, fiddle with
the asa dial.

Javier

http://mail.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:59:14 +0000 (GMT)
From: paul Moorhouse <quick0873@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] new leica user almost

Hi everyone im new to the leica world of photography.
got myself an R4..body .next is an r lense ,maybe a elmarit 135mm.
got a massive collection of other cameras ..nikon ..mamiya..pentax.. russian
leica likes..
olympus .canon..looking forward to using my leica.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:13:04 -0700
From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: new leica user almost

At 25/10/2006, you wrote:

>Hi everyone im new to the leica world of photography.
>got myself an R4..body .next is an r lense ,maybe a elmarit 135mm.
>got a massive collection of other cameras ..nikon ..mamiya..pentax..
>russian leica likes..
>olympus .canon..looking forward to using my leica.

Welcome, Paul, to the zoo!

You'll find us a diverse, polite and friendly lot.  There's a lot of
expertise here, so if you have questions, ask away!

You mention a "massive collection" ... are you more of a collector
than a user?  Or the other way 'round?

No matter, all lovers of Leica are welcome here!  (Though your R4
*will* work better with a lens! ;-) )

Good to have you on-board!

Cheers!

David (one of the Zoo keepers!)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:55:09 +0200
From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>

Hello Paul,
have you tried taking the battery out and rubbing both sides of it on a
piece of coarse cloth, and check the contacts while you're at it. Is the
metering dead? Does the camera deliver longer and shorter shutter speeds
on automatic or
I nearly forgot - welcome to the zoo (as David wrote)  - a finer
collection of rare denizens of the web is seldom to be found - it's
different from a circus, in circuses the animals have to do what their
keepers say (or at least do when they wield a whip). :-)
Cheers
Douglas