[LRflex] Re: help with computer

  • From: "Peter M.C. Werner" <pwerner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 03:43:36 +0100

Quoting Dave Saalsaa <dsaalsaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Dave,

A system restore would probably do even more harm, it would overwrite all user
data.

The first question to ask is whether the outlook files have really been deleted,
or if Outlook cannot find the "Outlook.pst" file. I shall try to describe this
in simple terms, avoiding technical jargon.

"Deleted" files are usually not physically deleted from disk, as long as the
space used by them on the HDD has not been used by some other file. Only their
directory entries are deleted. It is therefore most important not to go on
working and saving files that might reclaim the disk space used by the
"deleted" files.

There are utilities that allow to restore deleted files as long as the disk
space used by these files has not been overwritten. A Google search on "deleted
files" will show a lot of utilities to recover them. I have not dealt with the
problem for several years, making regular backups of my computer, but perhaps
another member can recommend which of the many utilities is both effective and
simple to use.

Cheers and a Happy New Year to you and your unlucky friend,
Peter

> Hi Guys,
>   I know this is totally not camera related but my friend needs help with a
> computer question.  Our Downtown director lost all of her Outlook contacts
> and email address book when her 12 yo son was playing with her laptop
> computer without her knowledge.   She is running Windoze XP and Microsoft
> Outlook.   Anyway of recovering those deleted files?  Would a system restore
> do any good?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

Peter Werner