[LRflex] Re: The Works

  • From: "William B. Abbott III" <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:50:52 -0800

Charlie, Walt, Doug,

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've riden one of those people- movers, traveling to and from Dulles Airport in Washington for over a decade, back when it was brand new.

I rather enjoyed them versus the tunnel-like boarding experience now universally used. Eero Saarinen is one of my heroes and I have been an admirer of his archtecture for a long time. His terminal building soars, IMHO.

Discussing the practice of architecture, Saarinen wrote words to the effect that to solve a problem of a corner, you have to solve it in the context of the room; to solve a problem of a room, you have to solve it in the context of the building, etc. I have found meaning in this observation in many other areas of life. Yes, it can be seen as a "blinding glimpse of the obvious" but I was of an impressionable age (still am) and it struck me as concisely profound.

Maybe those involved in the "adequate solution" will pay some heed.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Bill

On Dec 18, 2009, at 7:06 AM, Charlie Falke wrote:

Doug Herr wrote:

Walter Kramer wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/4194197263/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/4194198525/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/4194197655/sizes/l/

I had a "where's Waldo" moment when I found the operator in the first photo. The second is delightful and my favorite of these three.

Doug Herr
Walt, Doug,
I like these also, and also especially the second. I thought ridden
maybe it was because I love catenary.   Is catenary a guy thing? :-)

Walt,
   Is that your show hung in the beginning of the Flickr set?
Interesting insite you present into engineering architecture,
quite true as a rule. Every so often we make some clunkers (not my photo)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zir6/2654925363/sizes/l/
 --
Charlie Falke                                         _____      /\
"One test result is worth                        |    |/        `o
  one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun   0  N4003M
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein