[LRflex] Re: The Boys of Winter - again...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 08:15:50 -0800

G'Mornin' Richard!

You said:

> On Feb 3, 2013, at 9:37 AM, David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> G'mornin' fellow flexers!
>>
>> One more from the ice racing at Stake Lake, last weekend, using the
>> borrowed Oly OM-D (E-M5) and thkle 75~300 zoom, hand-held.
>>
>> http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/TheBoys-3.html
>>

> I like the moment you captured.

Thankee, kindly, good sir!

> Your statements about the camera's inapplicability for fast action
> aside, the camera & this particular lens seem like they might be some
> nice pieces of gear.

It is, indeed.  Small (very small!), light and extremely capable.  The 16mp
sensor is enough to make 11x14" prints w/o interpolation, which is good enough
for me!  Low light capability is awesome!

Before I tried my friend's OM-D, I was considering one.  Here's the
comparison...

OM-D body, with 12/2, 45/1.8 & 75/1.8 primes, weigh 932 grams (inc. battery!)

E3 body alone, no battery, no lens ... 810. grams.

Even if the new "pro-spec" body is a bit bigger & heavier (as rumoured), I'm
hoping it will be about the size of the old OM-1, which I took to the Soviet
Union, in the Way-Back-Whens.  It proved a good size to hold & use. I have
large hands - so the OM-D was "fiddly" for me.

The Oly primes (especially the 75/1.8 & 12/2) are considered as good as Leica
glass... so I'm keen.

If they can cure the focus tracking, I'll be a buyer!

I wonder how much post-processing you had to do on
> the file to get those strong blacks and whites?

Almost none!

I did, in the first shot, but not in #3.   See my reply to Xavier, for details.

> By the way, if I am following things out of PhotoRumours correctly (no
> guarantees!), Olympus is publicly promising a Pro-Spec 4/3rds body
> before to long.

Yes. And I'm waiting for it with bated breath!  (And money burning a hole in my
pocket!)

> Maybe they'll have sorted the panning issues for the evf
> by then cuz it will be evf and not a reflex.

I found the 1.44m dot EVF to be quite acceptable.  I hear that the new
"pro-spec" model will have Epson's new 2.36m dot screen, which is available in
the new Fuji, and getting rave reviews.   (I think Xavier saw it as the Paris
Photo Show.)

The finder jumped a lot, with horizontal movement, until I put the finder on
it's "High" refresh rate, and then it was excellent.  Sadly, the higher rate,
consumes batteries faster, which is, I guess, why the low (normal) refresh rate
is suggested.  It is good enough for most things.

> They supposedly found a way
> to be built as both m4/3 & 4/3 lens compatible - as in not by using a
> seperate mount adapter.

Mot so sure about that... I think they'll use an adapter, but the goal is to
maintain all the functionality of 4/3 lenses on a m4/3 camera.  This will
require a different adapter than the one they have, and phase detection AF in
the body, as that is what the 4/3 lenses are geared for.  If it works....

Peter Klein tells me that he has the adapter on the OM-D, and that results with
the 4/3 lenses are poor, with slow focusing and much hunting. Not good!

Take care of that focusing arm!

David.