[LRflex] Re: Surprise? Hmmm ?

  • From: George Lottermoser <imagist3@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 16:39:33 -0600

On Feb 18, 2013, at 2:30 PM, Bille Xavier F. wrote:

> Now, same compact LX5, same light but I applied a different 'taste' of film,
> dynamic B&W, here is the Jpeg, resized:
>
> http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/BWSurpriseLX5/P1010736_root.jpg
>
> All right, a few Bretzel have gone, the image may look a bit muddy (but not
> that bad, any way, at resolution of 1200 dots, you can hardly say
> otherwise....). Now, look at the raw image stored by the camera and plainly
> developped in Silkypix (version 5, all of them anyway):
>
> http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/BWSurpriseLX5/P1010736_dev.jpg
>
> To tell you, when the last image is opened by silkypix, it shows out of range
> values for the balance.....
>
> Now, quizz: what is the idea behind this set up, why is it much better to
> develop inboard an image like this?
>
> Your postcard is on the way.....
>
> To finish up, the raw images of taste B&W dynamic taken with the Digilux 3 do
> not look like this. Here on the compact, it's a trick to optimize another
> process..... Why not!
>
> A very interesting system apprach, in my eye. I'll tell you what is behind...

Nothing opened for me on #2 either.
Further - I'm not at all sure what your question may be.

RAW means "unprocessed."
If you're opening a RAW image file with software that has no profile;
or you open it bypassing any profiling;
you can't expect to see a light balanced file on your screen.
Some sort of profiling/processing/adjustment must be made to a RAW file
for it appear somewhat "normal."

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@xxxxxxxxxxx