[LRflex] Surprise? Hmmm ?

  • From: Bille Xavier F. <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <douglasmsharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>, <phil_501@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>, <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:30:45 +0100

Good Day Flexers. I have no superb images to offer, Marc Dufour has presented
lately something I would not compete with.... Bravo Camarade ! No, really, my
'niche', a.K.a 'speciality' is rather the 'what do I get when.....' Today,
something rather interesting and a quizz to win a superb post card of Paris. I
have been using the Compact Lumix LX5 and wondered if a Raw image is as Raw as
on the Digilux 3. In fact the LX5 comes in a second or even third generation
after the Digilux3 and often the solution to resolve a need is different. All
right, not teasing more, let's dive. Here is a picture taken in raw mode,
developped with Silkypix, normal, the white balance was rather set to another
specific place, my underground, hence the blueish cast, mostly due to a end of
a sunny day while the main light was artificial:
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/BWSurpriseLX5/P1010733_dev.jpg  Now, same compact
LX5, same light but I applied a different 'taste' of film, dynamic B&W, here is
the Jpeg, resized:
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/BWSurpriseLX5/P1010736_root.jpg All right, a few
Bretzel have gone, the image may look a bit muddy (but not that bad, any way,
at resolution of 1200 dots, you can hardly say otherwise....). Now, look at the
raw image stored by the camera and plainly developped in Silkypix (version 5,
all of them anyway):
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/BWSurpriseLX5/P1010736_dev.jpg To tell you, when
the last image is opened by silkypix, it shows out of range values for the
balance..... Now, quizz: what is the idea behind this set up, why is it much
better to develop inboard an image like this? Your postcard is on the way.....
To finish up, the raw images of taste B&W dynamic taken with the Digilux 3 do
not look like this. Here on the compact, it's a trick to optimize another
process..... Why not! A very interesting system apprach, in my eye. I'll tell
you what is behind...Cheers!
From : Xavier F. BILLE
mail : hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx
Maisons Alfort - France