[LRflex] Re: R-to-EOS adapter with focus confirmation

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 09:40:52 -0800

Hi Keith -

I think you meant to answer Jan Ris re: a non-compliant EOS-to-R
adapter w/focus confirmation on his 5D......... ;-) !

Jan, why not complain to your source - perhaps you have a defective
sample?  FYI - I am using the Tagotech (Singapore) adapter with an EU
chip.  I have no experience with any quirks on a 5D since my usage has
been only on a Canon 20D.  IMHO I wouldn't keep trying in case you do
something undesirable to the Canon body mount.  FYI I had a Nikon Ai
mount adapter also from Tagotech that had adhesive streaks on the chip
contacts and focus confirmation didn't function until I scraped off
this residue.

Back to photography - when I first bought the adapter, I thought that
focus confirmation would be good for wide angle shots in low light,
like my experimental Christmas Lights series posted previously using
the Super Angulon 21/4 on a 20D:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/sets/72157594435414115/
I was also pleased with the E-TTL flash results which the adapter
supports - used a slave unit in addition to the pop-up flash in the
last 2 shots.

Just wanted to report on the intuitively obvious - turns out using the
focus confirmation adapter is also good for tricky macro shots with
long lenses in broad daylight.  This adapter can be left on the camera
body while I interchange R-lenses, and runs shy of $60 less S/H
compared to other adapters w/chip being sold on the auction site at
$20-30 more.

Good luck, Jan - my sentiment echoes Keith in that you won't regret
solving your present LeiCanon conundrum. Photography in general
teaches one patience, albeit along with feelings of frustration for
now.  I actually bought 2 Rollei QBM-to-EOS adapters and kept them in
the drawer one whole year before getting a Canon D-SLR, and I picked a
used 20D rather than a new Rebel XTi because of the former's brighter
viewfinder......knowing full well that I would need all the focussing
help I can get in a stopped-down mode ;-)!   Look forward to hearing
the resolution of this situation for you, and also to see your
LeiCanon shots!

Cheers, Eric